Monday, June 25, 2012

Rimmel ScandalEyes flex Mascara vs Maybelline Mega Plush Mascara review and swatches

Running to grab some cough drops at Walgreens a couple days ago, I saw a new Rimmel display! It is their Scandaleyes Lycra Flex Mascara. It claims to have flexible, buildable volume. It reminds me a lot of the earlier released Maybelline Mega Plush volume mascara (see my review of that here: http://emtiny.blogspot.com/2012/05/maybellines-mega-plush-mascara-review.html)


So on to the reviews:
Scandaleyes lycra flex mascara, 0.41 fl oz/ 12mL, $6.99

I chose the one in Extreme Black 003. It also comes in black and one other shade.

Closer looks at the packaging. The mascara tube is huge! Same goes for the brush inside the tube. It feels like the size of the Covergirl Lash blast. I took a picture of the Rimmel Scandaleyes with Maybelline Plush for comparision below:


length of scandaleyes is definitely slightly longer. Circumference wise, Scandaleyes is definitely bigger. 
Picture on the right: the top wand is Rimmel's Scandaleyes flex and the bottom wand is Maybelline Mega plush mascara.

Now on to the application:

 My bare, curled lashes. My camera had a hard time picking it up, but I did my best!

  


 One coat of Rimmel Scandaleyes Flex Mascara in Extreme Black

  
Two coats of  Rimmel Scandaleyes Flex Mascara in Extreme Black


One coat of Maybelline Mega plush mascara

Touch: It feels as soft as the Maybelline Plush mascara. My lashes did not feel crunchy with the Scandaleyes flex mascara.

Volume: Scandaleyes flex did boost the volume of my lashes. It didn't clump, but got very close to it to create that plumped lash look. I did notice it mushed a few of my lashes together after the second coat, however. The Maybelline one did the same.

Curl: The Scandaleyes flex held my lashes for a little bit, but after a while I noticed my lashes droop down a little. I have straight, pointed down lashes and I really need a mascara that can hold a curl to work for me. The Maybelline plush seems to do better in this area. It held my curls a lot better and kept it that way during the day.

Brush/ease of use: I feel that with volume mascaras the wands tend to be bigger. However, I felt the Scandaleyes brush was so big that it was harder to use. The Maybelline plush mascara seems easier to use for me. Because my lashes are short, a huge brush would make it impossible to see my lashes when I apply mascara. I feel like the Maybelline Mega plush mascara is as large of a brush I can use without hindering my application. Also, because Maybelline Plush mascara has a dome shape, I have more angles to work with during application. 

Overall: Rimmel's Scandaleyes flex mascara does what it advertises- volume without clumping. It volumized my lashes without giving it spider leg clumpage. However, comparison with the Maybelline Mega plush mascara, I would choose plush over flex mascara! For me personally, too big of a brush makes application to my short lashes too difficult. Also, since I have straight lashes I really need a mascara that could curl. Since this was not promised in the Scandaleye Flex mascara, I won't hold it against them. I feel like you only need one of the two mascaras, but if you have lashes like mine I would suggest Maybelline's Plush!

Have you tried either of these mascaras? What are your thoughts?


E

Like what you see? Subscribe for more! Click to sign up for my mailing list

All products shown here were purchased with my own money and were given my fair and honest opinion.

5 comments:

  1. i have a review on the maybelline mascara if your interested (: Seriouslysavanah.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good review lady! Have you ever thought of giving your eyelashes some real oemf by using an eyelash growth serum???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angelique! glad you liked the review :)
      I have not tried any growth serum for my lashes. I've seen many brands before, but I guess I am just skeptical on them working for me. I will have to do more research first. Thanks for the suggestion!

      Delete
  3. You can also take botin (supplement) to grow your lashes if you're skeptical about eyelash growth serums.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh thanks for the advice! I will have to look into it :)

      Delete

Kindly refrain from advertising your blog here. Helpful links related to review only. Thanks!